2019 iPhone Rumor Roundup
For many, September marks the start of school and the fall season. For Apple fans, it’s also the beginning of iPhone season. That’s because each September, Apple faithfully hosts a special event to launch its latest iPhones. As always, the 2019 Apple iPhones are expected to be introduced sometime in September. Here’s everything we know and don’t know about the iPhones coming in 2019.
Similar iPhone line up to 2018
According to the expert analysts, the line-up of iPhones is expected to be similar to last year—three different phone sizes with varying features to appease Apple users at every price point. Size wise, we can expect the successors of the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, and iPhone XR to be similar in size.
- iPhone XS 2019 – 5.8 inches
- iPhone XS Max 2019 – 6.5 inches
- iPhone XR 2019 – 6.1inches
Better camera technology
Swirling around the rumor mill are hints of a camera upgrade for all three versions of the iPhone:
- iPhone XS 2019 – An introduction of the triple-lens rear camera on Apple iPhones. Benefits of a triple-lens camera include better 3D sensing, higher optical zoom capability (we're expecting 3x zoom vs the 2x zoom in the current iPhone XS), and better low light performance. Adjustable aperture is also a possibility. For the front-facing TrueDepth camera system, we’re expecting to see a big increase in resolution with experts predating quality to jump from 7 pixels in 2018 models to 12 megapixels this year.
- iPhone XS Max 2019 –
- An introduction of the triple-lens rear camera on Apple iPhones. Benefits of a triple-lens camera include better 3D sensing, higher optical zoom capability (we're expecting 3x zoom vs the 2x zoom in the current iPhone XS Max), and better low light performance. Adjustable aperture is also a possibility. For the front-facing TrueDepth camera system, we’re expecting to see a big increase in resolution with experts predating quality to jump from 7 pixels in 2018 models to 12 megapixels this year.
- iPhone XR 2019 – According to widespread rumors, the iPhone XR will have a dual-lens camera with both a wide-angle lens and telephoto lens.
No big display changes
We’re not expecting any real change when it comes to displays—the 2019 iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max are said to maintain OLED displays while the XR is supposed to keep LCD. That being said, Apple hopes to offer OLED screens for its full iPhone line up in the near future, so maybe next year.
Your iPhone might be able to charge other wireless devices
Interestingly, there are some rumors suggesting the new iPhone models will feature bilateral wireless charging, giving the iPhone the ability to wireless charge other Qi-capable devices, like your AirPods and other wireless-capable phones. Whoa.
Some design changes
Rumors suggest the design will remain mostly the same. If a third camera is added for the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, an obvious change would be a wide square-shaped camera bump on the back. To reduce the camera bump, the rear panel is expected to be made from only a single pane of glass.
As far as dimensions go, the 2019 iPhones are expected to be slightly thicker. This would make sense if the rumor regarding a larger, more powerful battery with bilateral wireless charging is true. A larger battery would also be needed to accommodate the new camera technology. Some are saying the iPhone XS 2019 and iPhone XS Max 2019 will switch to a frosted glass design on the back of the phone.
Another potential design switch could be an alteration in the mute switch, going from pill-shaped toggle to the more round toggle Apple currently uses on iPads.
Goodbye 3D Touch
Apple eliminated 3D Touch from the iPhone XR last year, and apparently few people noticed. We’re expecting 2019 to do away with 3D Touch completely. In lieu of it, the Haptic Touch feature that was introduced in the iPhone XR will likely be the replacement.
The full line-up of 2019 iPhones are expected to have the upgraded A13 chips, bringing improved performance and efficiency.
Few changes in color options
Aside from the frosted glass back in the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max, we aren’t expecting changes in color options. For the 2019 iPhone XR, we may see two new color options, namely lavender and green.
iPhone 11? iPhone XI?
Experts just can’t decide on this one. Will the larger iPhone be called the X Plus? Will Apple revert back to naming phones numerically with the iPhone 11? Or has it switched over to using roman numerals only (iPhone XI). Apple does a good job of uses code names during the design phase and leading up to launch, so this is likely to remain a secret until Apple makes their announcement in September.
We’ll keep updating this post as we learn which rumors have been squashed and which have moved from rumor to real, so check back for updates on this year’s iPhones.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Rokform Blog
Always have a grip on your phone with the new Pop Twist Adapter for PopSockets.